Strengthening Families is a family centred, strengths based program that supports families who have a child with a diagnosed disability who reside in the Lake Macquarie Local Government area.
Our program supports the family unit including parents/ carers, siblings and the young person with a disability. Our aim is to build the family’s skills and capacity to become confident advocates.
We support families to make informed choices; receive appropriate support from service providers; develop advocacy skills and engage meaningfully in their communities.
We provide support to families through a variety of services depending on the family’s needs and preferences
- Case management – we come into the family home and in partnership with the family develop a Family Support plan. This may involve accessing information, linking with other services, developing home based programs, applying for funding.
- Parent Workshops – Provide a range of informative workshops for parents on a variety of issues.
- Information support via phone calls, emails and quarterly Newsletters.
- Coffee mornings – provide an opportunity for parents to network and provide support to each other.
- Firstchance Library – provides literature on a variety of disabilities and related topics.
Through these services we endeavour to
- Provide information to families about a disability and available local agencies and service providers
- Build skills to participate effectively in meetings with agencies, schools and service providers.
- Link families with support networks to decrease the sense of isolation
- Who can make a referral?
Firstchance Teen Time ( available to all families)
Firstchance Teen Time offers after school care and vacation care to teenagers with a disability who attend school. We operate out of Lakeside SSP at Gateshead. If you're interested in putting your child’s name down for this service call Strengthening Families on 49218723 or ADHC Intake on 1300 205 268. ADHC can also give you information about other Teen Time services in the region.